Last modified: December 4, 2021
Lightning Labs, Inc. ("Company" or "We") respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website https://lightning.engineering including our Terminal, Loop, and Pool network access services (collectively, our "Website") and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
- Through mobile and desktop applications you download from this Website, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and this Website.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Company or any third party; or
- Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website.
Children Under the Age of 18
Our Website is not intended for use by anyone under 18 years of age. No one under age 18 may provide any information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 18. If you are under 18, do not use or provide any information on this Website or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, public key, IP address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 18, please contact us at [email protected] .
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such your IP address, a Lightning Service Authentication Token (“LSAT”), public key address, and any other identifier by which you may be individually identified ("personal information");
- That is about you but individually does not identify you, such as usage statistics regarding encrypted web traffic between users and their Lightning Network nodes; and/or
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website, and other usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include Website usage details (site visits, session duration, etc.), IP addresses, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies.
- From third parties, for example, third party site analytics providers.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
We may retain information we collect automatically or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. This helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons. Pages of our the Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Other methods of authentication. We may also use other types of authentication tokens such as LSATs or Macaroons. Macaroons are a flexible standard for API credentials which are already used by the Lightning Network Daemon as its default authentication mechanism. The LSAT protocol allows a user to atomically purchase macaroons over the Lightning Network. We may use LSATs for a range of business purposes including but not limited to A/B testing new features or UX changes.
We do not control these third parties' tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. For information about how you can opt out of receiving targeted advertising from many providers, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection, and to comply with all applicable laws.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may use the information we have collected from you to enable us to display advertisements to our advertisers' target audiences. Even though we do not disclose your personal information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria.]
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users without restriction.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Lightning Labs about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an email address to correspond with us regarding product support, we may disclose that email and its contents to third parties in responding to your communication.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Lightning Labs, our customers, or others.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
We do not sell your personal information.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may also send us an email at [email protected] to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement.
Your California Privacy Rights
California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Although we do not disclose personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes, to make such a request, please send an email to [email protected] .
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. These measures include ensuring that Lightning Labs does not see information such as encrypted pairing phrases and cached node aliases and encrypting all traffic to our Website while in transit through us.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, for example where you generate an Encrypted Pairing Phrase, this is stored locally on your machine and you are responsible for keeping this information confidential. You should be vigilant of phishing attacks directing you to sites attempting to steal your pairing phrase before you have connected yourself. Ideally, you should bookmark Lightning Labs’ pages in your browser and only navigate to it using the bookmarks bar. YOU ARE PRINCIPALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SECURITY AND THE SECURITY OF AUTHENTICATION CREDENTIALS STORED ON YOUR MACHINE.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. Without prejudice to the generality of the Terms of Service and in particular the limitation of liability provisions contained therein, we are not responsible for and shall not under any circumstance be liable for losses or damages arising from circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website, including but not limited to any such losses arising from your failure to keep your credentials secure.